Sunday, January 11, 2009

The mystery of Christ in us

1. “’But what about all the miracles? The healings? Raising people from the dead? Doesn’t that prove that Jesus was God – you know, more than human?’
‘No, it proves that Jesus is truly human.’
‘What?
‘Mackenzie, I can fly, but humans can’t. Jesus is fully human. Although he is also fully God, he has never drawn upon his nature as God to do anything. He has only lived out of his relationship with me, living in the very same manner that I desire to be in relationship with every human being. He is just the first to do it to the uttermost – the first to absolutely trust my life within him, the first to believe in my love and my goodness without regard for appearance or consequence.’
‘So, when he healed the blind?’
‘He did so as a dependent, limited human being, trusting in my life and power to be at work within him and through him. Jesus, as a human being, had no power within himself to heal anyone.’
That came as a shock to Mack’s religious system.
‘Only as he rested in his relationship with me, and in our communion – our co-union – could he express my heart and will into any given circumstance. So, when you look at Jesus and it appears that he’s flying, he really is…flying. But what you are actually seeing is me; my life in him. That’s how he lives and acts as a true human, how every human is designed to live – out of my life.’” (pg. 100)

Q. This is one of the boldest claims of this book. Is it biblical? Do you think it is possible for any Christian to perform miraculous signs and wonders like Jesus?

This claim is based on passages like John 14: 10-13. Jesus said, “The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.”

Q. If it is possible for believers today to ‘do what Jesus did,’ why don’t we see more authentic miracles?

Q. The author writes, “Jesus, as a human being, had no power within himself to heal anyone.” (See John 5:30 where Jesus said, “I can do nothing on my own.”) If the same power Jesus had is available, what is required of us to receive it? (See John 14:23, John 15:5, Hebrews 5:7-9, Ephesians 3:14-21, Galatians 3:5, and Galatians 4:19)

Q. Think of the most Christ-like person you know. Now imagine if that person was also doing miraculous signs and wonders like Jesus did. What would be the impact if this type of ‘Jesus life’ was normal for Christians today?

Q. What keeps you from experiencing this?
2. “’Admittedly, Mack, this is special. You were really stuck and we wanted to help you crawl out of your pain. But don’t think that just because I’m not visible, our relationship has to be less real. It will be different, but perhaps even more real.’
‘How is that?’
‘My purpose from the beginning was to live in you and you in me.’
Wait, wait. Wait a minute. How can that happen? If you’re still fully human how can you be inside me?’
‘Astounding, isn’t it? It’s Papa’s miracle. It is the power of Sarayu, my Spirit, the Spirit of God who restores the union that was lost so long ago. Me? I choose to live moment by moment fully human. I am fully God, but I am human to the core. Like I said, it’s Papa’s miracle.’” (pg. 112)

Q. In the first few chapters of the book of Acts we read about the Holy Spirit coming upon the new believers. The result was bold witness, miraculous signs, and the ability to live a loving, holy life. Do you believe the Spirit of God could do something similar today in our lives? Why or why not?

Q. What is our relationship with the Holy Spirit supposed to be? (See John 14:15-21, 25-26, Galatians 5:16-17)

Q. Do you ever wish you could sit down and talk with a physical Jesus like Mack did? How can we experience a ‘real relationship’ with him without being able to see or touch him?
3. “’ Aren’t you talking about a real indwelling, not just some positional, theological thing?’
‘Of course,’ answered Jesus, his voice strong and sure. ‘It’s what everything is all about. The human, formed out of the physical material Creation, can once more be fully indwelt by spiritual life, my life. It requires that a very real dynamic and active union exists.’ (pg. 113)

Q. Many people interpret the many verses about Jesus’ indwelling presence in a ‘positional’ or ‘theological’ way. They don’t expect it Christ living in and through them to be a practical reality. Why do you think we find this idea so hard to accept?

Q. Can you be ‘fully indwelt by spiritual life?’ (See Ephesians 3:14-21, Colossians 2:9-10, and John 17:20-26)
4. “’Mack, just like love, submission is not something that you can do, especially not on your own. Apart from my life inside of you, you can’t submit to Nan, or your children, or anyone else in your life, including Papa.’
‘You mean,’ Mack interjected a little sarcastically, ‘that I can’t just ask, ‘What would Jesus Do?’
Jesus chuckled. ‘Good intentions, bad idea. Let me know how that works for you, if that’s the way you choose to go.’ He paused and grew sober. ‘Seriously, my life was not meant to be an example to copy. Being my follower is not trying to ‘be like Jesus,’ it means for your independence to be killed. I came to give you life, real life, my life. We will come and live our life inside of you, so that you begin to see with our eyes, and hear with our ears, and touch with our hands, and think like we do. But we will never force that union on you. If you want to do your thing, have at it. Time is on our side.’
‘This must be the dying daily that Sarayu was talking about,’ said Mack and nodded.” (pg. 149)
Q. Most of us believe that if we made up our mind, we could change. We could be better Christians, better husbands/wives, and better parents. Paul wrote, “I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway.” (Romans 7:18-19) Why is it so hard to admit that we aren’t able to submit to God’s will? Why is it a relief when we finally do?
Q. Do you ever feel like you’re not cut out to live the Christian life? Maybe you have a quick temper, or your sexual desires are too strong, or you can’t stop smoking. Paul wrote, “So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death. The law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature. So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins. He did this so that the just requirement of the law would be fully satisfied for us, who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1-4) How does a person ‘follow the Spirit’ and live by God’s power?

Q. “Dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do. For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live.” (Romans 8:12-13) “So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you.” (Colossians 3:5) What do you think it mean to die to our sinful, earthly nature? How do we accomplish it? (See Galatians 2:20)

Q. In his letter to the Galatians, Paul wrote, “So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions.” (Galatians 5:16-17) Have you felt this struggle in your life? What steps do we need to take to allow the ‘Holy Spirit to guide our lives?”

If you’re interested in studying more on this topic, you might like my other blog, which is devoted to this topic of the mystery of Christ in us: http://john17twentyone.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

  1. https://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/theshack.htm

    ReplyDelete