Sunday, January 11, 2009

Meeting Jesus – God the Son

1. “He appeared Middle Eastern and was dressed like a laborer. His features were pleasant enough, but he was not particularly handsome- not a man who would stick out in a crowd. But his eyes and smile lit up his face and Mack found it difficult to look away.”

Q. Artist through the centuries have tried to depict the appearance of Jesus. Most show him as the ideal man, handsome, regal, and holy. How do you picture Jesus in your mind?

Q. The Bible describes Jesus’ appearance this way: “There was nothing beautiful or majestic about his appearance, nothing to attract us to him.” (Isaiah 53:2) It seems that God went out of his way to make sure his son wasn’t appealing to people for the wrong reasons. His humble birth, his hometown (“Can anything good come from Nazareth?” John 1:45), his appearance, and his credentials (son of a carpenter). Why do you think he did this? What implications does it have for the way God is working in our world today?

Q. As the author mentions, Jesus’ attitude was very attractive. He said, “I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” (John 15:11) He was known to his disciples as a person of joy, love, peace, patience, kindness, compassion, etc. The apostle Peter wrote that we should be known for inner qualities too. (1 Peter 3:3-4) How do we accomplish this? (Galatians 5:22-23)

2. “’When we three spoke ourself into human existence as the Son of God, we became fully human. We also chose to embrace al the limitations that this entailed. Even though we have always been present in this created universe, we now became flesh and blood. It would be like this bird, whose nature it is to fly, choosing only to walk and remain grounded. He doesn’t stop being the bird, but it does alter his experience of life significantly. Although by nature he is fully God, Jesus is fully human and lives as such. While never losing the innate ability to fly, he chooses moment by moment to remain grounded. That is why his name is Immanuel … God with you.’” (pg. 99)

“’Mackenzie, Jesus didn’t hold on to any rights; he willingly became a servant and lives out of his relationship to Papa. He gave up everything, so that by his dependent life he opened a door that would allow you to live free enough to give up your rights.’”

Q. The Apostle Paul describes the incarnation this way: “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.” What must it have been like for the God of the universe to limit himself to a human body? What do you think Paul means when he asks us to emulate Jesus’ attitude?

3. “’Jesus is fully human. Although he is also fully God, he has never drawn upon his nature as God to do anything. He has only lived out of his relationship with me, living in the very same manner that I desire to be in relationship with every human being. He is just the first to do it to the uttermost – the first to absolutely trust my life within him, the first to believe in my love and my goodness without regard for appearance or consequence.’”

‘So, when he healed the blind?’

‘He did so as a dependent, limited human being trusting in my life and power to be at work within him and through him. Jesus, as a human being, had no power within himself to heal anyone.’” (pg. 99-100)

Q. Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” (John 14:12-14) Many of the leaders of the early church did continue to do the miraculous works that Jesus had done – including even raising the dead (Acts). Do you believe we can ‘do greater things’ today? Why or why not? If so, in your opinion, what is restricting the flow of God’s life and power through his people? Why don’t we see more of God’s miraculous presence?

Q. Just before going to the cross, Jesus asked his father, “I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.” (John 17:20-23) If Jesus prays something, is it automatically answered? If so, do you think we already have this wonderful gift of union with the father, or is there something required of us to receive it? As you honestly evaluate your own life, do you think it ‘lets the world know’ Jesus came from God? Why or why not?

4. “’I am the best way any human can relate to Papa or Sarayu. To see me is to see them. The love you sense from me is no different from how they love you. And believe me, Papa and Sarayu are just as real as I am, though as you’ve seen, in far different ways.’” (pg. 110)

Q. The author of the book of Hebrews wrote, “The Son (Jesus) is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being.” (Hebrews 1:3) And Jesus told one of his disciples, "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. (John 14:9-11) So, when we look at Jesus, we are seeing both the Father and the Holy Spirit. In the story, Mack was most comfortable relating to Jesus. Why is it easiest for us to have a relationship with Jesus too? How could this truth improve our relationship with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment